Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sew Much in Common

   My grandmother and I now have sew much in common. It is unfortunate we can't talk about it.  She has been gone since 1993-the year I moved with my husband to our first duty station away from everything I had known.  She was very private and was content being alone.  Now I know why, after living so many years as she did, as a military wife.

    She was crafty...I became crafty. It is because of her that I have a sewing machine.  I inherited hers and am not totally comfortable with it...but I have made things here and there.        


I'm Sew Excited! Challenge in the Moxie Fab World calls for incorporating sewing icons in an innovative way.  I have some beautiful threads and little labels from my Grandma's stash.  I wanted to make this card in remembrance of her. 



I know there is a lot going on. ;)  I wanted to fit as much as I could.  The circles are thread labels that I stuck onto MS labels. They are from the threads that are too weak to actually sew with.  One of them looks like it is from Japan...her homeland that she never went back to.  The threads are from her stash...I laminated them and used glue dots to adhere to the kraft base.  



There is thread wound around the stamped spool.  I saw this done on Christina's blog  in March and it stuck in my memory!




 

My color choices were based on Colour Q Challenge #88
















Thank you for peeking in!

Recipe:  Justrite Stitched with Love, Spellbinders scalloped circles and basic circles, Spellbinders Label four, Majenta Maruyama purple mesh, Memento ink, Sei Dill Blossom,, Scuncii munchkin minis, Corrugator




9 comments:

VJ's Scrap Room said...

What a WONDERFUL way to remember your Grandmother.:) Are you going to frame it or put it on a rack for display? It's a lovely keepsake.:)
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment for me.:)
Have a FANTASTIC day!!

Hugs,
Valinda

Lindsay said...

Very cute Marlena! Love that spool!

Karen (TLgirl353) said...

Great sewing card! Thank you for leaving a comment on my beach scene at the Mark's Finest Paper Hop. We live on a lake-wish it was oceanfront property though-LOL.

Amy Sheffer said...

Love your sewing theme and your beautiful tribute to your grandmother!

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

Such a beautiful card! Thanks for all of the lovely comments you have left on my blog. :)

Arielle H Gordon said...

"Sew" adorable Marlena! Thank you so much for joining us this week at the colourQ!

Alanna Harris said...

love how you incorporated so much from you Grandmother...love how you used the thread labels!

Sam said...

I am sure your grandmother would be "sew" happy to see her odds and ends getting put to such creative use. I love that Just Rite stamp set. It is perfect for the card.

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Marlena! Thanks for linking this up to the I'm Sew Excited! challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm "sew" glad you joined in on all the fun! :)