Sunday, May 1, 2011

Our Unknown Future

  None of us know what our futures hold, do we?  One minute your house or loved one is safe, and the next....well, unfortunately, so many have sad, sad accounts they have just experienced.  How can anyone not have fear right now, with everything going on in our world.
  Have you heard of Corrie Ten Boom?  Do a search on her...she lived quite a life.  I just recently finished "The Hiding Place".  Talk about a comforting message she has to share!  Despite all she had gone through, she still managed to have peace and hope.  We all need that peace in our hearts, don't we?  Hence her quote, beautifully captured by ODBD .  It reminds us of WHO is in charge and WHO DOES know what our futures will bring.


   I love this quote; I love that it is from Corrie Ten Boom; and I love that it is so fitting for us, right now, in light of the fears we have. I was motivated by Our Daily Bread's On Assignment Challenge 33, which calls for paper piercing. I did a little of it here and managed not to poke myself. Aren't you proud? :)

  If you look at the the black leaves, you will see my minor attempt at this craft.  It's kind of fun, really.  I am new to "serious" stamping, and you might be also.  Serious, meaning, I actually try to stamp an image MORE THAN ONCE (shocker :) ) to get it right. 
  In case you didn't know (I didn't, until one blog was nice enough to mention it-sorry, there are so many nice ones I don't remember who), there is a piercing tool for this technique.  I am pretty sure mine was under $4.  It has a wooden handle, which is easier to hold on to than a needle, I am sure.  I HAVE poked my fingers with the dull, HIND end of a needle before. Sooooooo not fun, as you can imagine (or remember :) ).
   
   I'd like to add that my trendy daughter Mallory was the inspiration for the colors in this card.  The backdrop is her pillow and my card is sitting on her dresser. 
               This is her desk.  See her Hot Pink wall?   


   It was her idea to get "French Provincial" furniture which is usually white, and paint it black.  How cool is that?  What is even cooler?  We were able to buy all her furniture pieces for under $100.  We didn't just paint them, we SPRAY painted them, with Rusto-oleum spraypaint (black satin). I read that it could be done.  It can!  Only warning - when buying older stuff...keep it OUTSIDE until you have cleaned it properly.  You should treat any hint of mold with clorox...it's not worth introducing that nastiness to your house. 
Also to share...there is a party going on at Joyful Stampers Inspire Me Fridays.  Check it out!

  Thank you so much for visiting me today and may God bless you and grant you His peace.

Stamp Supplies:
Stamp:ODBD
Other: SU lattice die (cut in half and I used the little pieces left over as leaves); Sizzix Sizzlets Flowers, Branches, Leaves, random button, Bazzil Basics piercing tool (comes in holder...safe to store), Fiskar's Rotary Trimmer with scallop blade
Ink: Versamark, black embossing powder



 

2 comments:

Hazel said...

Very interesting (I came here from Inspire me Fridays and you certainly have inspired with your quote from Corrie Ten Boom - what a courageous and Spirit-filled lady she was. x

Betty Wright said...

Marlena, this is wonderful and your daughter's room makes for great inspiration! Great paper piercing! Love the embossed sentiment! Lovely card! Thanks so much for playing ODBD Stamping In Time!