Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Polka Dotted Paper

   Hello friendly stampers, how are you today?  Have you heard of the Polka Dotted Hullabaloo? You heard me, the Polka Dotted Hullabaloo.  It is a Tuesday Trigger challenge at Moxie Fab World .
   Normally I would avoid polka dots because they're dangerous. They would be as detrimental to me as anger is to Bruce Banner (the Hulk). I have sporadic inclinations to exhibit questionable taste.  In other words, I can be gaudy. 
   I say "can be", because most of the time I hide in the background. But, unexpectedly, gaudy Marlena jumps out.  Every six months or so I have to- HAVE TO- shine. But not in a classy way. 
  You think I am exaggerating?  I own an Elvis "light up" purse (love it).  I have a pink cowboy hat.  I pine over not having my own clear glass head, like the one my artsy friend displays on her mantle. I settled for a green glass hand that once held liquid soap.  

It wasn't the same. 

I have since tossed that.

   Don't get me wrong, these wonderful finds alone are not eccentric and gaudy.  It is ME owning them that throws my family and friends off.  It just isn't me.  I am not a "fun" person.  Really, I am not.  I am more of an analyzer-a deep person.

   However, if I don't succumb to these spontaneous urges when they hit, I am filled with regret.  About 20 years ago, my very classy/trendy sister talked me out of buying a pair of capris that had at least 4 layered ruffles on the calf trim.  In the dressing room, she said I looked like a flamenco dancer and convinced me I had nowhere to wear those bad boys.  She was right, of course. She was only doing this out of love, protecting me from cruel critics.  That's what sisters do.  However, those homeless capris haunt me to this day.  

They would have been happy here.

   Getting back to stamping....now you understand why polka dots could be harmful in my hands. I own a few that came with collections, I just don't go there. However, one special dotted paper I rescued from a scrapbook yard sale, about 5 years ago, has my heart.  It's shimmery, orange and green and you can't miss it...there is nothing like it.


It has found a home.
  I paired it with my JustRite Stitched with Love set, which is on sale now (soon to retire).  When I couldn't find a suitable partner for the shimmery dots, I was thrilled to see that the flip side was just as shiny, but not patterned.  It provided the second layer; Crafty Creations' pre-folded cards are the base.
  
  I didn't know whether to go horizontal or vertical and then I remembered my favorite green church top!


 
  Polka dots at an angle remind me of pearls.  Pearls are classic, right,
-not gaudy?  I used my favorite PTI eyelet lace border die; weaved it with ribbon, and it was done. I think it would make a cute little girl's card.
  I have a niece who will be 1 this year.  In fact, that ribbon I used was bought for her babyshower centerpiece .  I have two rolls left, and think of her every time I see it.  The card may be going to her this summer. It is fitting, don't you think, for her to have this card?  It's like the circle of life. 
  Thank you for listening. :)


Stamps: Just Rite 
Ink: Staz On, clear embossing powder
Other: Fiskar's rotary trimmer with scallop blade for trim, PTI eyelet lace border die, paper piercing







5 comments:

Indy's Designs said...

Love your card and was entertained with your story!

Unknown said...

Very pretty!

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Marlena! What a pretty approach to this week's Tuesday Trigger in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

Michellem said...

Loved your post - cracked me right up since I tend to be the same as you. I call myself "neutral girl" but once in a while I have to break out of my shell and do something wild too. BTW - I own the same shirt!!

Becca Sadler said...

Great job of using lots of curved lines!